Finally Forked Out Some Dough for a Real Domain

Bob recommended using GoDaddy to finally get myself a real domain name (not my first, but the first I actually intend to keep, I’ve used GKG for my previous registrar needs…their tools are horrid though, I didn’t realize how far the tools had come in the years since I used to use GKG…I can manage pretty much everything DNS related via web based interfaces at GoDaddy, whereas GKG was a much more manual process).  I’ve been hosting my blog under zerotrilogy.gotdns.com for a while now, and that address really doesn’t mean anything (other than the fact that I use DirectUpdate (version 3.5 which was free) to dynamically update my IP using the gotdns subdomain nameservers).  So, on to the point of this post…

Incredibly enough, my name was available for registration; so I snagged it (www.jaysonknight.com, which (for now) redirects to my current blog address).  I also plan to set up host headers for most of the common stuff (blog.jaysonknight.com (which I’ve already set up for redirection), gallery.jaysonknight.com, etc) and maybe even perhaps get around to finally building myself a “real” homepage for the root domain.  This is a work in progress, though as I’ve been dropped from the Google index now seems like the logical time to at least move my blog over as I’m basically starting from scratch anyway.  So, in the near future, my blog address will change to blog.jaysonknight.com…I’ll give due notice to my 2 loyal readers.  This won’t happen before I can update my aging server though (AMD KII running at a furious 450 mhz, and a whopping 256 megs of RAM…it’s actually done well, no part in thanks to running Win2k3 (and IIS 6), which happily chugs along given the limited hardware power).  Regardless, this should be a fun project.